Mass. governor slams Trump for ‘dangerous delay’ of $50 million in lead pipe replacement funds
(UI) — Massachusetts officials are calling out the Trump administration for holding up more than $50 million in federal funds meant to replace hazardous lead service lines across the state.
In a joint statement on March 25, Gov. Maura Healey, Attorney General Andrea Joy Campbell, and State Treasurer Deborah Goldberg warned that the delay could put children at risk and stall vital infrastructure projects.
“The Trump Administration has delayed more than $50 million in federal funding for lead service line replacement in Massachusetts,” said Healey. “Funding local projects is vital to get lead out of our drinking water. Massachusetts has some of the oldest housing stock and water infrastructure in the nation, and lead service lines remain a threat to public health, particularly for young children. These funds stimulate our economy by creating construction jobs, replacing outdated infrastructure, and most importantly ensuring that residents are drinking safe, clean water. We urge the Trump Administration to cease this dangerous delay in critical funding.”
“Lead pipes pose serious health risks for Massachusetts residents, especially children and those living in poorer communities,” said Campbell. “Since day one, I have advocated for federal funding to address this pressing public health issue, and I will continue to speak out against policies that put the health and safety of our residents at risk.”
“This thoughtless delay is putting the safety and wellbeing of our most vulnerable residents at risk, especially our children,” said Goldberg, who also chairs the Massachusetts Clean Water Trust. “The federal funding we use addresses a critical health issue and allows us to invest in vital water infrastructure projects that directly benefit the people who need it most. Providing clean, lead-free drinking water should not be controversial.”
The funds had been allocated in May 2024 through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, with the Environmental Protection Agency assigning $50.1 million to the Massachusetts Clean Water Trust's Drinking Water State Revolving Fund. The state Department of Environmental Protection oversees the program, partnering with municipalities to implement lead pipe removal and inventory efforts.
However, the Trump administration has paused the 2024 allocation while it reviews the program under previous executive orders. No timeline has been given for when the funding will be released.
Massachusetts is also awaiting a revised funding formula from the EPA. Changes to that formula could impact the state’s allocations in 2025 and 2026, officials said.
The Author
Related News
From Archive

- Trench collapse kills one construction worker in Houston, Texas
- Intrepid Fiber breaks ground on fiber optic network in Superior, Colo.
- Excavator collides with I-95 overpass in Henrico, Va., causing multi-vehicle crash
- Shrewsbury, Mass., expands sewer inspections and cleaning efforts
- Construction worker killed in trench collapse near Prosperity, S.C.
- Final construction phase kicks off for Indianapolis deep rock tunnel
- Texas contractor penalized by OSHA for repeated trench safety violations
- Trench collapse kills one construction worker in Houston, Texas
- WES tunnel boring machine retrieved from Oregon river after seven-month project
- Illinois overhauls Peoples Gas pipeline program, mandates focus on high-risk pipes
Comments